November 8, 2009

Weather Windows



Our November "theme" (though I am likely to get distracted by Thanksgiving-related activities much like Halloween) is weather.  My goal is to reinforce basic weather vocabulary: rain, sun, cloud, snow, snowflake...I thought it would be a good idea to hang images of these weather words on our playroom windows.  However, I think I have confused S because he already knew real rain and sun and now when we name them on the windows he looks outside with a confused look as if to say, "Mom, it's not raining."  Oh well.  At least he now knows "snowflake" and a paper cut-out of one is as close as he's going to get to the real thing where we live. 



I also plan to do some acitivites that reinforce "hot" and "cold".  I printed these pictures, backed them with construction paper and laminated them several months ago when S was fascinated with the idea that the oven was "hot" and I think it was a good visual to help him understand a semi-abstract concept.  I plan to do a similar one for "dangerous". 

Please leave me a comment if you have any good weather activity ideas for an 18 month old.

No comments:

Post a Comment