September 16, 2009

Alphabet

I am not direct teaching S his ABCs because he is only 16 months old and I want to foster a love for reading rather than teaching him how to read at this early of an age.  However, I think it's important to surround him (literally at times!) in a print rich environment and here are some of the fun ways we use the alphabet:


1.  Classroom Alphabet.  S loves this book.  It opens up to make a giant circle and he loves the feeling of playing in the middle with all the sea life around him.  So I thought I would try to do the same with the classroom alphabet.  I backed it in tag board, laminated the pieces, and used book tape to hold the sections together so that it would fold up nicely to store behind our playroom door.  He likes to sit in the center and move in a circle, naming all the photos that he is familiar with and sometimes he just likes to sit and play in it.


2.  Sing and sign the ABCs.  I like signing them as we sing because toddlers love hand motions to songs. 
3.  Magnetic (fridge) and foam (bathtub) letters. 
4.  Fridge Phonics.  I normally try to stay clear of electronicky gadgets, but this seems really fun.  I looked at them in the store and I like how it says the letter name and the sound each letter makes.  It's on S's Christmas list this year, but I can't decide between this one or this one.  The first is for younger children, but it uses capital letters and I personally like to introduce lowercase first because of their frequency in print (note: others prefer capital and still others feel they should be presented simultaneously) and I feel like the older one "grows" more with the child because there are 3 different levels.  Perhaps I will wait another year and get him the second one.  Hmm?  Anybody have this or have an opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment