March 3, 2011

It's Dinnertime!


Those of you who know me in "real life" know that my wonderful husband does all of our cooking, but I was recently introduced to a great cookbook by a friend of mine.  I have never wanted to own a particular cookbook in all my life, but there was something about this one.  I checked it out at the library and loved it so much that I bought a copy of my very own (for only $10 using my Barnes and Noble Groupon stacked with a 15% off code!).  The Family Dinner made me realize that I wanted my boys to see me in the kitchen as well as my husband.  I was also pushed in there by the fact that S started calling the oven "Daddy's oven". 


Aside from the simple recipes, the book also has lots of ideas for families to connect at the dinner table and ways to make dinnertime special.  So tonight I made my first dinner (a simple soup) and we started a new dinnertime ritual.  I put a little bowl at the center of the table with some questions in it.  S draws a question and we all take a turn answering it.  This was a nice break from the regular, "Tell us about school." or my husband and I finding ourselves talking to each other and telling S to not interrupt.  I will add more, but a few to start with were:
  • What is something you would like to learn?
  • What is something you are proud of?
  • What animal would you like to be?
  • What is something that you like about yourself?
  • What is something that you are good at?
Please leave a comment if you have more question suggestions (that a 2.5 year old can answer).

No comments:

Post a Comment